This strawberry pop tart recipe is perfect for those days when you need something quick in the morning to grab on the go! Not only can you make them in the air fryer, but they’re easy to make too — especially if you buy pre-made pie crusts for the dough! Also, this recipe obviously calls for strawberries, buy you can substitute the strawberries for similar fruits, like raspberries, mangos or blueberries too. You can also use frozen fruit, but make sure to thaw them in running ice water before cooking them.
Strawberry Pop Tart Recipe
To be honest, this strawberry pop tart recipe is now being made on repeat in my kitchen. These delicious little pastries are so quick and easy to make, and for someone like me who is always on-the-go in the morning, a life-saver! You can obviously re-heat them in the morning (if you have any left over) and they store well too. Just pop them in an air-tight container and store on the counter for up to 3 days. They also freeze pretty well!
Air Fryer Pop Tarts
Naturally these homemade strawberry pop tarts taste the best when you make them in an air fryer, but you can always bake them on a non-stick cookie sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes too. The only time-consuming part about this pop tart recipe is cooking the fruit down on the stove! But, it’s worth it if you want seriously yummy pop tarts!
I combined corn starch and sugar with the lemon juice and sliced strawberries in a pot and then once they were cooked down, transferred the mixture to a food processor to blend into a smooth consistency. But, you do not need to add that extra step, it’s really up to you and your preference!
Homemade Strawberry Pop Tart Recipe
Naturally, you’ll want to allow the strawberry compote to chill before filling the dough. Now, if you’re really in a rush, feel free to chill it in the refrigerator! 🥶 While you do that you can roll the dough, and score it so you have cute little rectangles ready and waiting for the chilled filling.
Note: I ever so slightly created a thumbprint “pocket” for the filling on the bottom half of each rectangle so that the filling would stay put once I placed the top half of the pop tart pastry on top of it. This is optional, but I recommend it because otherwise the filling may seep out after placing the top pastry on top of it — which would be such a terrible waste! 🤭
Air Fryer Pop Tart
After topping the pop tarts with the top layer of dough, simple pinch the sides together to form a tight seal and use a fork to cinch the top and bottom ends. Next you’ll want to place each strawberry pop tart in the air fryer (one by one) being careful not to touch the sides. Then, set the timer to 10 minutes and wait… wait very impatiently if you’re like me! 😉
Once the timer goes off, remove each strawberry pop tart from the air fryer and allow to cool on a baking rake. While they’re cooling you can prepare the icing, which should only take 2-3 minutes. After the pop tarts cool, simply drizzle with the icing and sprinkle decorative sugars on top, and voilà — perfect homemade strawberry pop tarts are yours! 🍓
Strawberry Pop Tart Recipe — The Ingredients
OK okay, I know you’re only here for the recipe, so here ya go! 😉 Hope you love these as much as I do!
Strawberry Pop Tart Recipe
- 1 air fryer desired, but optional
- 1 saucepan
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 pastry brush
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 potato masher
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 8 oz strawberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice *fresh is best
- 1/2 tbsp butter *preferrably salted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- 1 refrigerated, store bought pie crust
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream *may substitute milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp decorative sugars or nonpareils
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Combine the sugar and corn starch in a small saucepan on the stove.
- Add the lemon juice and berries. Cook on medium-low, stirring constantly until the berries soften and release their juices.
- Continue to stir and carefully mash the berries with a fork or potato masher.
- Keep stirring occasionally while allowing the sauce to reduce.
- Once reduced, add the butter and stir to combine.
- Once the sauce is a compote like consistency, remove from the stove top and set aside to cool.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface
- Slice into rectangles
- Carefully whisk together the egg and water.
- Brush the egg wash onto individual dough cutouts with a pastry brush.
Pop Tart Assembly
- Spoon strawberry filling onto the center of each dough cutout, allowing room on the sides.
- Place the top layers of the dough on top of the filled layer and pinch the sides together, sealing each end by pressing with a fork.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove each tart from the air fryer and allow to cool on a baking rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Once the pop tarts are cool, drizzle icing over each tart and sprinkle with decorative sugars.
Want even more delicious recipes? Make sure to take a peek at all my recipes on this blog and my vegan food blog for plant-based recipes next! Of course, if you want to save this recipes, don’t forget to Pin it to Pinterest before you go! 😋